Friday, January 26, 2007

Time for Discovery...


SPR, originally uploaded by Neorelix.

I walk past this building, the Scott Polar Research Institute, frequently but I can never get a good angle for a picture as there's a hedge right in front of it and I worry what the police will say if I get caught climbing through a private hedge. Again. (At least there's not a bathroom on the other side this time I guess.) So this is the best I could do. I had to leave the contrast as I wanted to show the stroppy look on our eponymous hero's face. Anyway, check out the website - it's fascinating, especially the picture galleries. Imagine being an explorer. Hello, what do you do? Software engineer. You? Explorer.... Heh.

In truth though, I've never really wanted to explore much beyond the international section of Zagat's restaurant guide... How lame. Although for some reason I have always wanted to go here. It looks like my perfect place. For years I've bored my friends about it so maybe I should just go. How do you do that - just up and go? How expensive would it be? How to get there and where to stay? Even enquiring may put me on an unstoppable path. And then I think I'm scared that once there I'll never come back...

p.s. I was kidding about the hedge/bathroom/police incident. Seriously...