Thursday, March 22, 2007

Too Oft is a Smile


Smile, originally uploaded by Neorelix.

But a hypocrite's wile...

I'm seeing this all over the place these last couple of months. This one is at the end of Trinity Lane– it's opposite another at Green St/Trinity St. Being as uncool, un-trendy and as un-in-touch with the zeitgeist as I am, I have no idea what it's about – but I like it. I know it's the title of Tracey Emin's 2005 exhibition and that she got it from a text she sent to a bereaved friend. But what text? Is it famous? I've found some fairly lame poetry featuring it but that doesn't seem the source. What does it mean in the graffiti-context? Of course, Byron(with his bear) attended Trinity and the quote is from his poem The Tear. It seems sadly unlikely though that the artist here is referencing that.

Anyway I can't feel your smile; but then I have no soul. I might feel a smirk I guess...perhaps more of a wry grimace....