Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Mate...


... Paul Whalen is a fantastic artist over in Boston and on a recent trip I brought this back. I don't even like Britney much but I love this six foot rendition of her. Customs had an issue with her - obviously a flat 6' slice of lucite is the disguise of choice for terrorist bombers - but I finally got her home and had to show her off. It's a one-off that he can't reproduce. He took a picture and xeroxed it til it was huge then washed the lucite with acetone and laid the photocopies over it. The toner or whatever it is transferred and etched into the lucite and voila - transparent red Brit. I love it. And I shot this pic in Cambridge so it kind of qualifies for the blog. In fact, one day when I'm loaded (mind you - with friends like you I'm already wealthy...), I'll open a gallery in which the pieces I own of his will take centre stage. And you're all invited to the opening dahhlings...

p.s. - locals might like to know that there's a photo comp goin' on. Pictures of H2O in any and all of its wondrous forms. My preference, of course, is frozen and added to something slightly alcoholic... Details here.