Wednesday, August 16, 2006

More Maya


Maya detail, originally uploaded by Neorelix.

Was heading down Mill Road yesterday, a solid alternative shopping destination to the two chain-based, cookie-cutter town and Grafton centres and home to the mighty Cutlacks 'Two Floors of Great Value!' hardware store, when I realised I had a chance to show you this. The image above is a detail of the full graf here which was commissioned by St Phillip's and St Stephen's Church. It's an arresting stencil treatment of Dali's Christ of St John of the Cross as you probably know and cheers me immensely whenever I pass. I'm annoyed that someone else has scrawled on it but the irony works I guess. I've featured an (awesome) piece by Maya before and you'll find loads of her stuff on her flickr pages here. So what's a little favouritism now and then?